Saturday, January 10, 2009

Are You a Mormon?

The majority of you know that I teach high school science. Well earlier this week one of my students asked me out of the blue if I was a mormon. (Because I teach school I have to be very careful about what I say about my religion. But since I was directly asked, I am allowed to say something.) Well, first I decided to try and figure out why this student was asking me this. So I asked him why do you want to know. And he said well so-so said you were a mormon and I didn't believe him so I made a bet with him that you are not a mormon. (Yikes!! He was definitely not going to win this bet.) But first I wanted to figure out why he didn't think I was a mormon. So I said well what do you know about mormons. And he confessed that he had no clue what a mormon was. One of my other students piped up that mormons believe in reincarnation. Oh boy!! I dispelled this misinformation and said no we believe that we have eternal life after we die. Then my student asked so are you a mormon. And I was honest with him and said yes I was. And left it at that. Poor kid was upset because now he owed his friend $20. At first I was really troubled with this because I try to live my life so people will know that I am mormon or more accurately a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. And I thought man I must be doing something wrong if a student made a bet that I was not a mormon. And then David said something that gave me pause to think. David told me with all the misconceptions and false rumors that have been going around about our church lately maybe it is a good thing that my student didn't associate me with being a mormon. The only thing I wish I would have done differently is done what my dad suggested. He said maybe I should have told the student if he really wanted to know what a mormon was that he should visit mormon.org. So for any of you that are reading this post and are not mormon. I invite you to go to mormon.org and find out what a mormon really is.

No comments: