Wednesday, December 22, 2010

All I want for Christmas...

... is a miracle. I found out right before Christmas break that one of my students is dying from cancer. This is my second year having this student. I taught him as a sophomore and now as a senior. This student's story is quite sad. It is just him and his mom. I am not sure about everything but I know that he works after school to help support his mom (pay bills, buy food, etc.). Evidently, he has been sick for the last six months but did not want his mom to worry so he kept it from his mom. He also knew they did not have health insurance. During Thanksgiving break, he was rushed to the ER and had emergency surgery where they removed some of the masses. However, the cancer had spread throughout his whole body. The doctors are not expecting my student to make it to January. He has been accepted into one of the top Cancer Hospitals in the nation. He started chemo the end of last week. All of his teachers, including me, are praying for a miracle. Christmas is always a season of miracles. I just pray that whatever happens it will be for the best.

No comments: