Saturday, December 13, 2008

After the trial of your faith

On December 2nd, David was pulled into a meeting at his work and was told that if he did not find another position in the hospital he was out of job December 31st. That day was fill the temple for our ward. Even though I felt rotten, we decided that we really needed to go to the temple. The next day he went in for his personal human resources appointment and was told his last day was actually December 19th. This is not the news that you want to hear any time but especially not right before Christmas. David was pretty upbeat about it and started applying for jobs immediately. He applied for 7 jobs that had just opened up at his hospital, a job at MHMRA and a job at Apex Hospital. Two hours after faxing his application to MHMRA, they called him up asking him to interview. He interviewed with his hospital last week and this past Tuesday he interviewed with MHMRA. For me personally, I was struggling with my faith.

Then this past Sunday, I was informed that there was a drip in the upstairs bathroom. During work on Monday, I called the home warranty company and not knowing how bad the drip was said it was not an emergency. When I got home, I went to check in the bathroom and the sheetrock was coming down. Not a good sign. I called the warranty company back and changed the problem to an emergency. I was told that I really needed to turn the water off because the warranty company will not pay for any secondary damage. But by the time I went to be I had not heard from a plumber yet. The next morning, I called the warranty company back up and found out that my work order was picked up and I was given the name of the company. When I called the plumber however they said they could not come out till the following day, Wednesday. I told them that I really needed someone to come out that day because we really needed running water. They suggested I call the warranty company back and try to get another plumber. I called the warranty company back and was told that if I had my job redispatched it might take even longer for a company to come out and I might as well keep the appointment that I had. One of my students overheard my arguing with the company and said that her dad was a plumber and he might be able to help me. Her dad came over later that night and said he couldn't help us our pipes were bascially rotted (we have galvanized pipes). So we went another night without water. The next day the plumber came to take a look at the problem. I was at work so I called home to find out what was going on and I called just as the plumber was telling my dad the bad news. Our claim was denied because our house was not grounded properly. Therefore instead of spending only $55 to fix the problem we had to pay for the whole thing which was $400.00 plus the $55 service call fee. By this point my faith was being really tested. I had a few moments of self pity. At one point my dad said at least I was not Job from the Bible. I still had my family.

David and I spent a good deal of time on our knees and reading our scriptures. We especially focused on Ether 12. If you have not read that chapter in a while, go back and read it. The common theme in there was that the individuals mentioned received their blessings after the trial of their faith. Our faith was definitely being tried.

Our blessing did come. Friday morning, I got a text message from David. MHMRA had called him and he received a job offer. The job pays a lot better than his current job and he will only have to work M-F, no weekends. We have been truly blessed by the Lord. And as Ether 12 says we received this blessing AFTER THE TRIAL OF OUR FAITH. I know that the Lord is ever mindful of David and I and our family. And I am truly thankful for this new door he has opened for us. In fact, if everything goes like we plan it will be a smooth transition from his old job to MHMRA. Now we have to get on our knees and thank the Lord for his blessings.

No comments: